Like most schools, our parking lot is very busy at entry and dismissal times. With winter ahead, and a likely increase in students being dropped off and picked up, we are looking to review procedures in the interest of safety. Our foremost goal is safety for all students, staff and community members, and we need your help.
In the interest of improved traffic flow during drop off and pick up, we would ask for your continued support with current procedures:
- All drivers drive with particular care in and around the school. We share a common interest in providing a safe environment for our almost 600 students and we ask that all drivers approach the school patiently, with consideration for pedestrian traffic, other drivers, and the staff on duty. We would especially remind drivers to avoid distractions such as texting or using the phone.
- When dropping off a child (or children), drivers are asked to pull into the furthest available curbside spot and take care when merging back into the inner driving lane. No student should be dropped off from the inner driving lane and subsequently walk between vehicles.
- At no time should a vehicle be left unattended or otherwise parked in the Kiss and Ride. If you want to get out of your vehicle, please park along Mistysugar Trail, as parking is not permitted in the Kiss and Ride.
- Parents are to pull away from the Kiss and Ride as quickly and as safely as possible. Please do not use this time to socialize with other parents or staff.
- Parents are not permitted to use the bus loop at the front of the school to drop off or pick up their children. This is a designated Fire Route and is permitted to accommodate only school buses.
- At pick up if you do not see your child (or children), drivers are asked to continue to circle the Kiss and Ride, as needed. Drivers should not stop anywhere in the driving lane to pick up their child, rather continue around the Kiss and Ride and pull up curbside only when they see their child.
We have also reached out to our partners at the York Regional Police in the interest improved traffic flow during drop off and pick up times. You may expect to see their presence during key morning and afternoon times in the weeks ahead. We would ask, most of all, for your cooperation in supporting our traffic plan, and we appreciate your patience in dropping off and picking up your children. We thank you for your support in helping to improve drop off and pick up times at the school, and we would encourage you to review these procedures with your children. As always, we remind parents that walking to school is the best way to alleviate traffic congestion and both an environmentally friendly alternative to driving as well as a healthy choice.
Our thanks for your support.