We hope that your new year is off to a great start. While we are disappointed that we cannot greet the students in person today, our staff has been working hard to make this a smooth and productive learning experience for them.
Please see the letter below from Public Health stating that our Monitoring period for Covid-19 is over!
January 4, 2020
Please note Public Health investigates all COVID-19 cases related to Schools, Before and After School Care and School Buses. If you have been associated with cases in more than one of these environments (e.g. School and Before & After School Care), please remain in isolation until the latest date identified on any communication you have received from York Region Public Health.
Dear Parent(s)/Guardian(s) of Student(s) Attending Bakersfield Public School:
York Region Public Health has declared the monitoring period of COVID-19 at Bakersfield Public School over.
School monitoring periods are declared over after 14 days if there has been no evidence of transmission related to the initial exposure in the school, and if there are no further cases in students and/or staff (or other visitors) in the school.
Bakersfield Public School has worked diligently to implement strict public health measures within the school environment. The following public health measures were reviewed and strengthened during the monitoring period to prevent further transmission of COVID-19:
- Screening children and staff
- Staying home when sick
- Cohorting (grouping and separation) students and staff
- Enhanced cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces and shared toys and equipment
- Using personal protective equipment for staff (e.g., masking, eye protection)
- Reinforcing the proper wearing and handling of face coverings amongst students
- Ensuring proper hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette
- Posting signage of appropriate public health measures (e.g., hand hygiene, coughing and sneezing etiquette)
- Maintaining physical distancing
- Ensuring any individual staff or student that was in close contact with the case is excluded from school
York Region Public Health reminds all students/staff who attend a school with a closed monitoring period to always self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 and if symptoms develop visit a COVID-19 Assessment Centre at any hospital in York Region.
Common symptoms can include:
- Fever (37.8ºC/100ºF or greater)
- Cough (new or worsening)
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat or difficulty swallowing
- Runny nose
- Nasal congestion
- Decrease or loss of sense of taste or smell
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Diarrhea and/or abdominal pain
Other symptoms may include:
- Tiredness, feeling unwell, or muscle aches
- Worsening of chronic conditions
- Pink eye
- Increased tiredness/fatigue
- Difficulty feeding in infants
For more information
Should you have any questions or concerns, please visit york.ca/covid19 or contact York Region Public Health at 1-877-464-9675.